A WOMAN who claimed she was the victim of a ‘horrendous’ sexual assault by three men in a Cheshire layby has been arrested for making false allegations.
The 34-year-old told police she had been attacked in the early hours of Easter Monday in Hassall, near Sandbach.
After a thorough investigation, officers have concluded that ‘this offence did not occur’.
The woman has since been arrested on suspicion of wasting police time and perverting the course of justice in connection with the incident.
A 33-year-old man from Stoke-on-Trent who was arrested on Tuesday has been released without charge.
Chief Inspector Claire Jesson said: “Following this report, officers conducted a detailed investigation and appealed to the public for help and information.
“I can now reassure the residents of Hassall, and the wider public, that we are satisfied this offence did not occur and I would like to thank them for their support.
“However, I do not want this to deter people from reporting such crimes to us for fear that they will not be believed – nothing could be further from the truth.
Source: Chester Standard